er

الخميس، 17 أكتوبر 2013

You shouldn’t have to worry about anything during vacation season.

So this column is my vacation gift to you. It is about all the health policy matters we seem to worry about the least. 


I have written close to 150 columns.  If you look down the right side of the page, you will find links to the ten most-read ones.  The subjects won’t surprise you – fairness in mental health treatment, Obamacare and private insurance, and cursed football players lead the way.

But do you ever wonder about the columns with the fewest readers?

Based solely and unscientifically on my numbers, here are a half dozen or so health policy matters we seem to care about the least.

Long Term Care. 

Are you worried about continuing high unemployment rates, taxes on small businesses, or another stock market crash ruining your family’s financial security?   If so, you should redirect that worry.  Because US Trust CEO Keith Banks called long term care costs “the biggest risk to family wealth” during a June 27, 2013 CNBC interview.

That’s because neither regular health insurance nor Medicare covers them.

So you can either pay $80,000 or more per year for long term care, or hope states continue to spend billions of dollars to expand Medicaid, or wait for Congress to create a national private long term care insurance program– something a new national Commission on Long Term Care has just been given three months to do.  That should get anyone’s anxiety level up.  But chances are – if you are still reading this column – your mind is wandering already, and you are ready to move on.

Medicare.

Whenever I write about Medicare, I lose 30 percent of my readers that week.  For example, I wrote two columns earlier this spring about something I found really intriguing and have never read anywhere else – that Medicare regularly pays more for men with depression than it does for women.  To me, this is blockbuster news about disparities in care.  But not to my readers. Maybe we need to be eligible for Medicare before we really start thinking about it?

Research.

Without research, there would be no modern healthcare system.  There would be no effective cancer treatments and no once-deadly communicable diseases – like polio – that ruined more than just children’s summers as recently as sixty years ago.  But the one time I wrote about why research matters – just two weeks after I wrote my most popular column ever – it was one of my least-read ones ever.

Child health.

Everybody loves children, but my columns on child health – even ones with sensational headlines – don’t seem to attract much attention.  It may be that we feel that we have solved most of our child health problems over the last few decades.  But as a brand-new Annie E. Casey Kids Count report points out, while we’re trending in the right direction, we still have a way to go.

Personal Responsibility and Wellness

This is another subject I have shied away from, after dipping a toe in the water two years ago.  I wrote about the way in which Connecticut, a liberal state, added a component of personal responsibility, a historically conservative concept, to its state employee health plan.  The state believes that it has saved money by doing this, and the approach has proved popular with employees.  But the column wasn’t popular with readers.  Why not?  We all want to be healthier. But maybe we don’t want health insurance to be tied to health!

Environmental health. 

While environmental health is a huge part of public health, environmentalists and public health officials often go their separate ways in policy advocacy.  I wish it were different.  But even when I wrote about the environmental devastation in the immediate aftermath of the Japanese nuclear disaster in March 2011 and put it in a broader public health context, not too many people paid attention.  The column drew fewer readers than almost every other column I wrote that spring.

Eric Cantor.

Don’t ask me why, but the least-read of my 150 columns was the only one that used the words “Eric Cantor” in the title.  If you have forgotten who Eric Cantor is, I am not going to remind you.  But once upon a time, he was actually relevant to the health policy debate in this country.

Lately he seems to be taking a vacation.  A long one.  As we all should be!

Paul Gionfriddo via email: gionfriddopaul@gmail.com.  Twitter: @pgionfriddo.  Facebook: www.facebook.com/paul.gionfriddo.  LinkedIn:  www.linkedin.com/in/paulgionfriddo/

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق